Wednesday, October 25, 2006

You know when people tell you your prayers have been answered? I was an intense skeptic of that. Seriously, check out the entry I did on prayer.

But, then I had a prayer answered. And it was the most powerful experience of my entire life.

The exact details probably don't matter that much, in fact, I know they don't. What I do know was that I was in this deep valley of despair. And in walks... this person with God straight on his heels and he says "Let's pray together." I've never had a connection with prayer before. Never had a moment where I went "wow." Until tonight. That's when I knew. That's when I knew that God was moving. In that moment.

This person barely knows me. But he knows that I'm destined for pastoralhood. That was the first thing that got me listening. And then he spoke about my heart and the things on it and I was just in awe. Simple and sweet awe. And then when I prayed, I understood that I didn't really have the capacity to pray for a lot of other people. That in that very moment, it was about God re-entering my life. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I poured my heart into it.

I believe in God. I believe that Jesus died on the cross for my sins. Thank God. My unbelief has been made new again!

I believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger The Uncredible Hallq said...

Sorry to burst your bubble, but no, there isn't a God.

Subjective religious experience has been used in support all kinds of different belief systems, from Moromonism to Wicca to Taoism to New Age beliefs. It isn't reliable. And what about people who pray and pray and pray and never receive a response?

Important point about your last post. You said: "I read this article and don't know anymore. That makes me so very sad." Why? Have you ever thought about why its so important for God to exist, or is this just something the society has hammered into you? It's something I used to believe back when I was a theist, but now I literally don't know what I was thinking. I could not have given you a rationale if I tried.

2:13 PM  
Blogger Whit said...

Hallq,

Thanks for your comment. There is a God. I believe it fully and purely. I choose to believe because I just inherently know that is what completes me. Without God, I am less.

Society hasn't hammered that God exists into me. I grew up in an atheist home and have numerous amount of friends that are atheist. If anything, the society I grew up in told me there was NO God. But I've long ago given up pursuing other people's truths.

We do receive answers, just sometimes not ones that we're willing to identify. There has to be a willingness to let go of the selfish desire to have everything our way and recognize that there are 7 billion other people on this planet each with different needs and desires than our own. If every prayer were answered in a positive sense, pure chaos would exist.

Have you ever thought about what it's so important for God NOT to exist for you?

Either way, I hope you have a peaceful day :D

5:28 PM  
Blogger The Uncredible Hallq said...

I posted my coment mainly because you reminded me of me, because you, like so many other people, assume some need for a god, though in my experience such assumptions are often poorly thought out. How do you think it completes you?

6:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the first video clip on the following site may help you.

http://richarddawkins.net/search,ALL,page1,n,Video,n,n

:)

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home