Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Dear Future,

What do you hold? Is it full of sparkles and wonder or of boredom and dimness? Will you taunt me with your unbearable excitement or will lack of interest depress my soul?

To my future husband: It's been a long time coming. There have been a lot of ups and downs in order to prepare me for the time when I could marry you. God has tested me in every way imaginable and I went through it because I knew in the end it would shape the person I was meant to be. I knew that all of the waiting... the resisting temptation... the guarding of my heart would be worth it in the end. I had been waiting my entire life for you.

To my children: Whoever you are, whoever you will become, I couldn't love you more. Your souls are part of my own, forever intertwined in a beautiful cosmic mess. I've loved you since before I knew you and will continue loving you past the day I'm called to another existence.

To my family: I love you. I can't think of a better way to say it. No matter how frustrated I have become in the past, no matter how much I wished we were all different, you all make me who I am. You five are my heart, my soul. We've been through a lot together. I just want you to know that I don't regret a moment of it. To my Grandparents, Cousins, Aunts, Uncles: you provided a home for us when we lived incredibly far away. You were my friends, my family, the definition of what coming home meant to me. I love you with all of my heart.

To my friends: What can I say? We've had some incredible times. Some of you know me better than others; some of you would rather you didn't know me at all. And that's okay. I've long given up striving to be perfect. I want you all to know that all of the talks, all of my advice I give out, all of our late nights, all of our fun moments, they've meant so much to me. You people are what's helped me grow up into who I am. You've helped mold me. Yes, I may be quirky, but I would NEVER have been able to develop into who I am without you crazy people at my side. Thank you.

To God: I didn't understand how powerful it was to become part of your kingdom when I first did it. I knew my life had changed profoundly, but I didn't quite grasp what it all meant. Almost eight years later, I realize that my life before you was nothing. These past years have taught me that loving you is the most rewarding relationship of all. Your patience and kindness has helped prepare me for a life of servitude I would be desolate without. Your stern word and finalism let me know that I'm not the authority on all things. You are always there, governing my life and my soul, and I feel comforted in even my most despairing of times. When I promised myself I would pursue a relationship with you, I even doubted my ability to do so. But with every decision I made, whether it be right or wrong, I began to realize that a relationship with you meant fulfillment of my soul. I've come to understand that I can be satisfied with only you and that the extras in my life are a blessing. Whether it be my family, friends, a husband, children, a job... they're all extras in life. Added bonuses on top of the biggest part of all: you. I don't think I grasped what it meant to be blessed before this. You bless me by filling my life with such special people that I'm undeserving of. I finally see that understanding your love begins by your allowing me to express that love onto other people. Thank you for allowing me to learn, to live, to breathe, to explore each day with a childlike mind and a good sense of humor. I feel special to be given the opportunity to make people laugh and to counsel them when they think there's nothing further to push them forward. Thank you, Lord. Thank you.

This letter, a letter to my future life as well as the present, is written out of the hopes that I see and understand better what truly matter in my life. Sometimes, when inspiration strikes, we must see it for what it is. God speaks through us in so many beautiful ways. Whatever happens to me... whether I become a pastor or go into the military... whether I become married and have children or remain single the rest of my life... whether I die at 98 or 22... I realize now that my life is defined by who I am today and who I continue striving to be tomorrow. No, I'm not perfect, but God made me who I am for a reason. It's about time I start appreciating that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home